Maine Voting Information
National Election: November 3rd
Early Voting: October 5th – October 30th
Deadline to request absentee ballot: October 29th
Deadline to register by mail: October 19th
How do I register to vote?
You must be a US citizen, Maine resident, and 18 or older by November 3rd
To prove your residency and identity you can use any of these documents:
- Government document or credential with photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, valid U.S. Passport, military ID)
- Government ID document/credential without photo (certified birth certificate or signed social security card)
- An official document that shows name and address of voter (eligibility for public benefits, utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck)
- Verified unique identifier (Maine driver’s license number or last four digits of social security number)
If your government ID is issued under an address that is different than your current Maine address, be sure to bring along an official piece of mail that will provide this information (recent utility bill, internet bill, etc.)
Register in person!
Fill out a voter registration card at your town office or city hall, through any motor vehicle branch office, in most state and federal social service agencies, or at voter registration drives.
Register by mail!
Print out Voter Registration Card, mail to or hand deliver to your town office or city hall.
If you are unable to print the voter registration card, one can be requested to be mailed to you by contacting your municipal clerk.
Register in person on November 3rd!
Maine allows for voter registration on election day! Be sure to have the appropriate documents with you!
How do I vote?
Vote by Mail!
Request absentee ballot by Thursday October 29th online, by phone, by mail or fax.
Once you receive your ballot, fill it out and submit it as soon as possible! Submit by mail, in person at your town office, or at a ballot drop box!
- Remember to sign the back of the envelope!
- Be sure to attach postage if you are mailing in your ballot! Buy stamps from your local post office! or buy them online!
- Be sure to get your ballot to your municipal clerk by 8:00 PM EST 11/3
Go to your municipal town clerk’s office, and cast your ballot in person! Find your municipal clerk’s office here!
Vote in person on Nov. 3rd!
Find your polling place here!
Polls open between 6:00 AM EST and 10:00 AM EST. All polls close at 8:00 PM EST. Call your municipal clerk to find out when polls open in your area!
How can I vote safely?
Practice healthy behaviors to protect yourself!
- Wash your hands before and after leaving the polling location.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol as frequently as possible. Especially after touching surfaces such as door handles or voting machines!
- Wear a mask! Children under 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, is incapacitated or otherwise not able to remove mask on their own should not wear a mask.
- Maintain at least 6 feet distance from others, even when people are wearing masks!
Make a plan that works best for you!
- Look into alternative ways of voting (information above)
- Avoid crowed by voting early, voting in off-peak times, or drive to polls.
- Be prepared when you arrive at the polls! Be sure to have all necessary documents with you!